Vegetable Farro Soup
This hearty Vegetable Farro Soup is made with less than 10 ingredients and ready in 30 minutes. It’s warm, loaded with vegetables and delicious!
Hearty, warm and cozy are three words I would use to describe this vegan Vegetable Farro Soup. Filled with vegetables for flavor, beans for protein, and farro for nourishing, it’s one of my favorite simple soups to make!
I first had this soup when my grandma made it for a family dinner. Everyone went crazy for it (I think you will too!). She made a huge pot, divided it into bowls and served it. Ironically, she forgot to give me a bowl. So, there was about a 1/4 cup of it left at the bottom of the pot which was unintentionally for me. So, I tried it and loved it. She felt bad, so she made a special batch for me later in the week. Now, whenever I visit my grandma she makes this soup for me (see – everything happens for a reason!).
With less than 10 ingredients (not including the seasonings) this soup comes together quickly in just 25 minutes. Most of the ingredients you likely already have on hand. All that being said, it’s perfect for a fast and tasty weeknight dinner or a rain/snow day (it isn’t my go to snow day soup for no reason)!
Ingredients – Vegetable Farro Soup
• Yellow Onion
• Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes – I’ve also used just regular canned diced tomatoes, but the fire roasted adds a nice depth of flavor in my opinion.
• Farro – an extremely nutritious grain. Loaded with fiber, protein, and numerous vitamins and minerals, it’s a healthier alternative to many other refined grains such as rice. I wouldn’t suggest substituting the farro for anything else as farro has a distinct nutty flavor. However, if you are gluten-free and therefore can’t have farro, I would suggest using orzo as a substitute.
• White Beans – any canned white beans will work: cannellini, great northern, navy.
• Fresh Spinach – to incorporate some greens and for some extra magnesium. Kale would work as a great substitute.
Vegetable Farro Soup is incredibly easy to make and requires just one pot, which I use my Le Creuset Dutch Oven. It’s my all time favorite kitchen item! I use it for everything, from breads to soups to pasta.
Serve a bowl of Vegetable Farro Soup with warm bread, grilled cheese, or as a starter dish! Typically, I enjoy a big bowl of it with some homemade baked bread and vegan butter. Yum!
For More Vegan Soup Recipes
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!
Vegetable Farro Soup
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat add the olive oil, onion, celery and carrot. Sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, can of diced tomatoes, farro, bay leaf, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the white beans and spinach. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Serve!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so it should only be used as an approximation.