The Best Tofu Scramble
A classic breakfast dish made vegan – this Tofu Scramble is so easy to make in just one pan, packed with flavor and nutrients, and so delicious!
Growing up I used to eat scrambled eggs often – a classic breakfast meal. But being a picky eater as a child, I ate my scrambled eggs plain or with loads of ketchup. As I got older, I was completely put off by eggs. Alas, I discovered tofu scramble: a plant-based protein packed alternative that tastes just as good!
This Tofu Scramble is packed with protein from the tofu, flavor from the seasonings, and loads of nutrients from the veggies. In my opinion, it tastes even better than real scrambled eggs. It’s light enough to not make you feel blah yet it will keep you full until lunch time (unless you’re having this for dinner, because breakfast for dinner is seriously the best).
And can we talk about those vibrant veggies? They not only add a pop of colorful, but also give it an extra nutritional boost. No matter if you’re enjoying this meal for breakfast or as a comforting dinner, this Tofu Scramble will totally hit the spot!
This recipe is so simple to make and it comes together in about 15 minutes. Also, there’s no weird ingredients that will require a trip to the grocery store – you likely have all the ingredients on hand already. And if you don’t, feel free to substitute! This Tofu Scramble is incredibly versatile, meaning you can add or remove whatever you like.
Tofu Scramble Ingredients
• Firm Tofu – firm tofu works the best for this recipe as it has the most similar consistency to scrambled eggs.
• White Mushrooms – to add an umami flavor. Any type of mushrooms will work here.
• Yellow Onion – white onion will also work.
• Red Bell Pepper – feel free to substitute yellow or orange bell pepper for a sweeter flavor.
• Sweet Potato – a vitamin C powerhouse. We have to throw in a root vegetable!
• Spinach – because we need to throw a green in there. Spinach is loaded with magnesium and calcium.
• Turmeric – this mimics that classic yellow color of eggs. Not to mention the added health benefit of turmeric’s anti-inflammatory powers.
• Toppings – my favorite toppings for this Tofu Scramble are avocado, hot sauce, and everything but the bagel seasoning. Other topping ideas include: salsa, tomato, pico de gallo, scallions, and cilantro.
How To Make Tofu Scramble
Start by poking holes in the sweet potato with a fork and then place it in the microwave and cook for 6 minutes. Remove the skin and cut it into about 1″ sized cubes. Next, sauté the diced onion, bell pepper and mushrooms in olive oil for 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Crumble the tofu with your hands and add it to the pan along with the seasonings. Then, add the sweet potato and spinach and cook until it’s wilted, about 5 minutes. Serve with desired toppings. Some topping ideas: hot sauce, avocado, everything but the bagel seasoning, salsa, tomato, pico de gallo, scallions, or cilantro.
Tofu Scramble tastes amazing by itself or served in a breakfast burrito/taco. It reheats perfectly as well, so I often have it for breakfast or brunch the following day.
Packed with protein, vegetables, and flavor – this Tofu Scramble is low-carb, nutritious and kid-approved! Save this recipe to make on the weekends or have it as breakfast for dinner (my personal favorite)!
More Breakfast Ideas
The Best Tofu Scramble
- Poke holes in the sweet potato with a fork and place it in the microwave for 6-7 minutes, until cooked. Cut it in half lengthwise, remove the skin, and cut into 1" size cubes.
- Drain the tofu and crumble with your hands into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Once heated, add diced onions, mushrooms, and bell pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crumbled tofu to the pan along with turmeric, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Let cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach and cubed sweet potato and cook until the spinach starts to wilt - about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with desired toppings. Enjoy!
- Tofu Scramble lasts in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Simply reheat in a pan or the microwave.
- Feel free to substitute any veggies - make it your own!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so it should only be used as an approximation.