Healthy Berry Crisp
This Healthy Berry Crisp is the perfect summer treat! It’s vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and ready in 30 minutes.
The end of summer is bittersweet. On the one hand, it means sweaters and pumpkin spice lattes are just around the corner. On the other hand, it means grilled corn on the cob and ice cream. No matter what time of year it is, there is nothing better than a warm crisp. Whether it be apple crisp, or this Healthy Berry Crisp, it always hits the spot. The combination of warm berries with a crunchy topping is perfection!
This recipe is completely vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free and ready in just 30 minutes! It’s packed with juicy berries and topped with nuts and oats for a delicious healthy twist on an old classic.
This recipe can be enjoyed for breakfast or dessert, depending on how you serve it. For dessert, serve it with your favorite vanilla ice cream. For breakfast, top it with your favorite yogurt. A few people have added a scoop of protein powder to the crisp topping to add a protein boost. Sounds like a delicious, wholesome breakfast to me!
Feel free to use whatever frozen berries you have on hand. I used a mix of frozen blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries.
Why I Love This Recipe
- Frozen berries – this recipe uses frozen berries for the filling. Frozen berries are much cheaper than fresh berries and contain just as high, if not more, of a nutritional value than fresh berries. Most frozen fruit is picked at peak ripeness and then frozen, which preserves the nutrients, compared to fresh berries which typically sit on a truck for days on end, losing much of it’s nutritional value.
- Wholesome crisp topping – the crisp topping is made from oats, nuts and naturally sweetened with maple syrup. Feel free to swap the nuts depending on preference, or add a scoop of your favorite protein powder to hit your protein goals!
- Enjoy anytime of year – to be honest, I crave this berry crisp all year round. Since it’s made with frozen berries, you don’t have to wait until they’re in season. Just grab a bag of frozen berries at your local grocery store and get baking!
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make It
- Frozen Berries – feel free to use whatever frozen berries you have on hand. I use a mix of blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. You can also use fresh berries, but I actually recommend frozen berries since they are cheaper and have preserved nutrients.
- Cornstarch – this helps soak up the juices from the berries so the filling isn’t too runny.
- Rolled Oats – use certified gluten-free rolled oats if necessary.
- Walnuts – feel free to swap for other nuts depending on nut allergies.
- Sliced Almonds – again, feel free to swap for other nuts depending on nut allergies.
- Almond Flour – blanched.
- Maple Syrup – the all natural sweetener for the crisp topping.
- Vegan Butter
- Vanilla Extract
There’s something magical about the vibrant colors of berries, bursting with flavor and freshness. This Healthy Berry Crisp is a delightful way to indulge in the sweetness of the season. As the scent of the warm, bubbling fruit fills the air, I can’t help but feel a sense of comfort and bliss. Sweet summertime at it’s best! Whether you’re enjoying it as a dessert or a wholesome breakfast treat, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your home.
I know I’m not ready to say goodbye to summer. I try to make the summer last as long as possible. So, consider making this Healthy Berry Crisp to savor these last bits of summer and create something truly delicious. Give this Healthy Berry Crisp a try and let the flavors of the season linger just a little bit longer.
More Healthy Crisp Recipes:
All vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free.
Healthy Berry Crisp
- 3 cups frozen mixed berries I used blackberries, blueberries, raspberries & strawberries
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Let the frozen berries thaw in a strainer for about 10 minutes. Add the slightly thawed berries and cornstarch to a baking dish (I used an 8-inch pie dish) and mix until the berries are evenly coated with cornstarch.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the crisp ingredients and mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Pour the crisp mixture on top the frozen berries and evenly distribute.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with vegan ice cream and serve!
- Store leftovers in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so it should only be used as an approximation.