Healthy Chocolate Granola (Vegan & GF)
Healthy Chocolate Granola is a chocolate lovers dream – easy, healthy, packed with nutrients, vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free. It’s wholesome yet indulgent!
Allow me to start off by sharing that I absolutely love granola. Crunchy clusters of sweet oats & nuts *chefs kiss*. Whether it’s on top of yogurt, smoothie bowls, or just with some good ‘ole oat milk, it always hits the spot!
It’s so tempting to buy granola from the store, especially with how good they make it look. But once you flip it over, the ingredients aren’t so good. Sugar, high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, etc.. Little do people know how easy it is to make granola and how much tastier and healthier it is! Plus, the aroma that fills your home while it’s in the oven is better than any candle.
My inspiration for this granola: chocolate & nutritious. Yes, those two words can be paired together. For starters, it is vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free. I like to load my granola with nutritious ingredients such as nuts and seeds, which many store-bought granola do not have. Nuts and seeds are great sources of protein, healthy fats and fiber. Since we don’t fully absorb their fats, we tend to eat less and burn more energy. Have you ever eaten a handful of nuts and felt super full? Yup, same.
This chocolate granola is made up of many wholesome ingredients, but that doesn’t mean it’s lacking in the sweet department. I incorporated natural forms of sugar such as maple syrup and coconut sugar to add that sweetness we all crave. Then, of course, there’s the cocoa powder. This does the trick for me, but if you’d like a little extra chocolate, feel free to mix in some chocolate chunks right when the granola comes out of the oven.
Ingredients – Chocolate Granola
• Gluten Free Rolled Oats – feel free to use regular oats if you are not gluten free.
• Walnuts – omega-3 powerhouse.
• Pecans – rich in antioxidants and naturally sweet.
• Chia Seeds – heart-healthy seed high in omega-3s.
• Ground Flaxseed – another heart-healthy seed that’s rich in fiber and omega-3s.
• Cinnamon & Salt – to add some flavor to our granola.
• Coconut Sugar – a natural sweetener which retains many nutrients found in the coconut palm, mostly iron, calcium, and potassium.
• Maple Syrup – another natural sweetener that contains numerous antioxidants.
• Cocoa Powder – our chocolate component! Did you know cocoa powder decreases inflammation and improves brain health? Sign me up.
• Coconut Oil – a healthier oil option – this helps everything stick together.
• Vanilla Extract – for depth of flavor.
How to Make Healthy Chocolate Granola
No big equipment necessary. Begin by gathering the ingredients and chopping the nuts. Prepare two medium bowls. Add the dry ingredients to one and combine. Add the wet ingredients to the other and combine. Then, pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mix, and bake!
The key to crunchy granola is to let it sit after it bakes (at least an hour). However, I have made this granola in a hurry and therefore only let it sit for 10 minutes – it was still so crunchy. But, since I often bake my granola at night, I’ll leave it in the oven (turned off) overnight, then the next morning I break it apart and it’s super crunchy.
How to Eat Healthy Chocolate Granola
My favorite way to eat granola is on top of vegan yogurt. It’s also delicious paired with smoothie or açaí bowls, or as cereal with your favorite plant milk. Drizzle some of my Homemade Almond Butter on top to take it to the next level!
This chocolate granola is wholesome yet indulgent, made with clean ingredients, and ideal for making large batches for the whole family to enjoy!
Leave a comment or tag me on Instagram to share your reviews on this epic Healthy Chocolate Granola! I’d love to hear your thoughts and see how you enjoy it.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!
Healthy Chocolate Granola (vegan + gluten free)
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, add the coconut oil and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds, until completely melted. Add the remainder of the wet ingredients to the bowl with the coconut oil and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the bowl with the wet ingredient mix into the dry ingredient mix. Fold with a wooden spoon until completely combined.
- Spread the granola evenly across the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for at least one hour or overnight (this will make it super crunchy!). Break apart and store in an airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for several weeks.
- Feel free to swap the seeds and/or nuts for others of your liking (i.e. hemp seeds, hazelnuts, peanuts, etc.)
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so it should only be used as an approximation.