This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!
These Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups are perfect for the holidays & will stand out on any dessert table! They are vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free & oil free.
The holidays are just around the corner, and I can’t think of a more adorable and festive dessert than these Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups! Made with a chocolate cookie base, filled with a rich and creamy chocolate ganache and topped with mini marshmallows. You would never know that they are vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free AND oil free. Seriously, almost too good to be true.
Essentially, these Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups are like a cup of hot chocolate but in cookie form. Hot chocolate was my favorite as a kid, and like any other kid, I would pour a whole bunch of mini marshmallows on top (mini only, the regular sized marshmallows simply didn’t do it for me). Anyone else?
If you’re looking for a fun holiday treat to make with kids, this is it. Did I mention they’re kid-approved? I have to try and keep them away from my little sister. They are just too delicious.
Why You’ll Love These Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups
• Made with better-for-you ingredients – this recipe does not contain any dairy, gluten, eggs, refined sugar or oil. It is also allergen friendly.
• Amazing flavor – rich, indulgent and delicious.
• Easy to make – all you need are 10 simple ingredients.
• Stunning presentation – perfect for the holidays. These will be a showstopper at any gathering!
• Almond Flour – this helps create that super soft, melt-in-your-mouth texture.
• Oat Flour – make your own oat flour by blending up rolled oats or quick oats! You can also buy oat flour at the store.
• Salt – just a pinch to bring out all the flavors.
•Vegan Chocolate Chips – I always use the brand Hu Chocolate – it’s made with clean, organic ingredients that are vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free. Be sure to use my code BOOBOO for a discount.
• Non-Dairy Milk– to make the chocolate ganache for the filling. Any non-dairy milk will work. I typically use soy milk.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix together the dry ingredients: almond flour, oat flour, cocoa powder and salt. Then, stir in the wet ingredients: applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Mix until a slightly sticky dough forms.
• Press the dough into silicone muffin molds or a greased mini muffin pan and use your fingers to press the dough up and along the sides of the pan to make a cup shape. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Once done, let them cool in the pan/mold completely. Then, pop them out of the pan/mold and place on a serving dish.
• Make the chocolate ganache by melting vegan chocolate chips and non-dairy milk. Spoon it into the cookie cups until all are filled. Top with mini marshmallows and serve!
Tips, Tricks & Serving Suggestions
• If the dough is sticking to your hands while you’re trying to create the cup shape, wet your hands a little and it will help. However, the dough should not be that sticky.
• Sprinkle some crushed candy canes on top for a fun holiday addition! Or add 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract into the chocolate filling for peppermint flavor.
• Dust with powdered sugar to add a “dusting of snow”.
Add the almond flour, oat flour, cocoa powder and salt to a bowl and whisk until combined.
To the same bowl, add the wet ingredients: applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Mix with a spoon until combined and a slightly sticky dough forms.
Add 2 tablespoons of the dough into a silicone cupcake mold or a greased mini muffin pan and press it into the bottom of the pan. Then, use your fingers to press the dough up and along the sides of the pan to make a cup shape.
Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan. Once cooled, remove the cookie cups from the pan and place on a serving dish.
Make the chocolate ganache by adding the vegan chocolate chips and non-dairy milk to a bowl. Melt in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. Stir to combine.
Evenly spoon the chocolate filling into cookie cups and top with mini marshmallows. The filling will set more as it cools.
Maple syrup - agave will also work.
Vegan chocolate chips - I always use Hu Chocolate – it’s made with clean, organic ingredients that are vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free. Be sure to use my code BOOBOO for a discount.
Non-dairy milk - I typically use soy milk, but any non-dairy milk will work.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so it should only be used as an approximation.