Vegan Blueberry Rolls
Vegan Blueberry Rolls are swirled with an easy homemade blueberry jam & topped with a smooth blueberry cream cheese frosting.
Vegan Blueberry Rolls are perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert. They’re made with a pillowy-soft dough and filled with an all natural sweet blueberry filling that’s swirled throughout the entire roll. The result? A sweet, fluffy and moist vegan blueberry roll that will satisfy all your sweetness cravings!
These are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth craving. With each bite you’ll experience a buttery dough, followed by the sweetness and tartness from the blueberries, and lastly, a smooth layer of creaminess from the frosting. Plus, how absolutely stunning are they? The natural purple hue in the frosting from the blueberries is a showstopper. These rolls will be a hit at any event!
If you’ve never had sweet rolls, your life is about to change – not to be dramatic. Imagine a regular cinnamon roll getting a fruity, summer makeover. These rolls are so light and airy, they practically melt in your mouth. You really can’t go wrong with this recipe because it has all of the elements needed for a perfect dessert: sweetness, tartness and creaminess!
Essentially, these blueberry rolls are a summer alternative to my most popular recipe on my blog: The Best Vegan Cinnamon Rolls. While traditional cinnamon rolls are always a good idea, I’ve been inspired by the summer produce and the blueberries add a burst of color and sweet summertime flavor to this fan-favorite baked good. Vegan Blueberry Rolls are a great option if you want something different from the traditional cinnamon roll, or if you’re looking for something new to make for brunch/breakfast or for a summer gathering.
This recipe is also kid-approved (as are most the recipes on my blog). That is one of the many perks of having little kids as neighbors — they are brutally honest and always willing to try and offer reviews for any type of dessert!
Vegan Blueberry Rolls Ingredients
• Vegan Butter – I like to use the Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks. For this recipe, you’ll want to use sticks of butter as opposed to butter spreads. The butter spreads contain a lot more water, which we do not want in this recipe.
• Frozen Blueberries – frozen blueberries work best in this recipe. I wouldn’t recommend using fresh blueberries.
• Coconut Sugar – to sweeten our homemade blueberry jam.
• Cornstarch – to thicken our homemade blueberry jam.
Vegan Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
• Vegan Cream Cheese
• Vegan Butter
• Powdered Sugar
• Blueberry Jam – we will reserve some of the homemade blueberry jam we make.
How To Make Vegan Blueberry Rolls
No need to be intimidated by making the dough. It’s relatively easy to make and comes together in just about ten minutes. The dough is made from all-purpose flour, yeast, vegan butter, non-dairy milk, and salt. You can knead the dough using your hands or a stand mixer. I typically use my stand mixer.
Then it’s time to roll the dough into a rectangle shape and spread the homemade blueberry jam on top. Roll it up, cut it, and put those beautiful swirly rolls into the oven. In the meantime, make the blueberry cream cheese frosting by creaming all of the frosting ingredients together. Once the rolls are done, let them cool a bit and then lather on a thick layer of that beautiful purple frosting.
If you’re in need of a go-to recipe for special occasions like Mother’s Day or Father’s Day, you’ve hit the jackpot! These rolls are also a great option to bring to a brunch or potluck event. Or, just make them at home for a sweet weekend treat. I especially love these blueberry rolls because they’re not too sweet and the cream cheese frosting pairs amazing with the hint of tart from the blueberry filling.
If you’re following along with me on my Instagram, you’ll know that I’m doing a “love letter to cinnamon rolls” by creating recipes for all different flavored cinnamon rolls. This is my fourth installment. If you haven’t tried my previous rolls, they are a must try! Pick between my Vegan Lemon Sweet Rolls, Vegan Strawberry Rolls, or Traditional Cinnamon Rolls — or make all of them!
More Summer Dessert Recipes You’ll Love:
Vegan Blueberry Rolls
Vegan Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups powdered monkfruit sweetener or powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 2 tbsp vegan butter softened
- 3 tbsp blueberry jam
Make the dough
- In a small bowl combine the plant milk and vegan butter and heat in the microwave until warm, about 1 min 30 sec (it should feel like warm bath water, not too hot but not too cold). Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large mixing bowl) and mix in the sugar and yeast. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the yeast to activate (you'll know it's done once its foamy at the top and smells of yeast).
- Gradually add the flour 1/2 cup at a time to the mixing bowl while mixing with the dough hook of a stand mixer (or using a wooden spoon). The dough should be able to easily pull away from the bowl, it should not be too wet but not too dry. It should not stick to your hands.
- Add in the salt, then knead for 8-10 minutes either by hand or in a stand mixer.
- Transfer the dough to a generously oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap and a tea towel and set it in a warm place to rise for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.
Make the blueberry jam
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, add the defrosted blueberries, coconut sugar, cornstarch and vanilla extract. Stir around until combined.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until it's thickened a bit, stirring occasionally. Use the spoon to mash some of the blueberries. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Put aside 1/4 cup of the filling for the frosting.
Assemble the rolls
- Prepare a parchment lined 8x8 baking dish.
- Once the dough is doubled in size, transfer to a generously floured surfaced and roll the dough into a 14×9 rectangle. It's important the surface is well floured so it's easier to roll up.
- Using a spatula, spread the cooled blueberry jam evenly over the dough, leaving about 1/4-inch from the edges.
- Tightly roll up the dough from the 9-inch side. It might get messy but no worries! If any filling falls out just spoon it on top.
- Using a serrated knife, cut about 1/2 inch off the ends. then make nine 1-inch cuts to make 9 even-sized rolls.
- Place the rolls next to each other into the dish.
- Cover the dish with cling wrap and a tea towel and set it in a warm place to rise for another 30-45 more minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Bake the rolls uncovered for 35-40 minutes. If the middle of the rolls start to pop up while baking, just use a spatula to push them down.
- Once finished baking, remove from the oven and let the rolls cool before frosting.
Make the frosting
- Using a stand mixer or hand-held mixer, cream together all of the frosting ingredients: powdered sugar, vegan cream cheese, softened vegan butter and the reserved blueberry jam.
- Spread the frosting over the rolls. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so it should only be used as an approximation.