Summer Squash Pasta
Light, bright and healthy is the perfect way to describe this vegan Summer Squash Pasta. Made with farm-fresh vegetables mixed with freshly squeezed lemon juice to make it extra vibrant and tasty!
Pasta is a great option for a quick and easy meal, but it can also be very heavy. Well, not this recipe! This vegan pasta dish is loaded with farm-fresh summer vegetables, such as zucchini and squash, which makes this pasta dish light, bright and healthy, but also satisfying and filling.
In the summer I spend much of my weekends perusing my local farmers market for the perfect summer vegetables. I’m a big fan of farmers markets. Not only is it a great way to support local farmers, but it also gives you a chance to taste the freshest produce around, especially when you don’t exactly have a green thumb. I couldn’t help myself this past weekend so I picked up an abundance of summer squash, which is now in season, and had this spark of inspiration to make a fresh but light and earthy pasta.
My family is a huge fan of this pasta dish. Loaded with fresh and vibrant flavors, this pasta is made with zucchini, yellow squash, chickpeas, black olives and lemon – an ode to the mediterranean! It also has all the elements of a wholesome and tasty meal: carbs from the pasta, protein from the chickpeas, various vitamins and nutrients from the veggies, and some tang from the lemon juice. It can also be made gluten free by using gluten free pasta.
The great thing about this recipe is that it needs very little prep work before you can eat it. All you need to do is cook the pasta according to package instructions, sauté the vegetables with some garlic, toss everything together and serve!
Pro-tip: when making this dish, it’s important to cook the pasta just until al dente in order to achieve the right texture. Overcooked pasta will become mushy when combined with the rest of the ingredients in this dish.
It only takes about 25 minutes from start to finish and is perfect for any occasion. This pasta dish pairs perfectly with a side salad or steamed veggies as well as a glass of white wine. Enjoy!
Leave a comment or tag me on Instagram to share your thoughts on this fresh and vibrant Summer Squash Pasta! I’d love to hear your thoughts and see how you enjoy it.
More Dinner Ideas
Summer Squash Pasta
- 8 oz spaghetti use gluten-free pasta if needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 zucchini cut into cubes
- 1 yellow squash cut into cubes
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked (from a can)
- ½ cup black olives sliced
- 1 lemon juiced and zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- fresh parsley to garnish
- Add the olive oil to a large pan and place on medium-high heat. Once hot, add the garlic, zucchini and yellow squash. Cook 10-12 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked and lightly brown. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta per package instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Add the pasta along with the pasta water to the pan with the zucchini and squash. Stir in 3 tbsp olive oil, chickpeas, olives, lemon juice/zest, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so it should only be used as an approximation.